Whats Inside My Box?: Week of August, 2023
Watermelon from Turners
Rainboiw Cherries from Cattails
Red Potatoes from Hoefstetler’s
Carrot Sticks from Oldens
Cubed Cantaloupe from Oldens
Celery from Trembling Prairie
Loaves of Cheddar
Roasting Mix from Olden
Did you know that potatoes can be classified as waxy or mealy? Red potatoes and Yukon Golds are waxy potatoes. Waxy potatoes are best for roasting, and boiling for potato salad. Mealy potatoes, such as Russets or Idahos, contain more starch and are best for mashed potatoes.
Keep your box items Fresh…
• Keep refrigerated and stored in a sealed container away from excess moisture.
• Always wash items with salt/vinegar/warm water before consuming.
• Compost after 7 days, or if mold is beginning to grow. Avoid consuming products that have odd smells, slime, textures, etc. or if they feel soft and dehydrated.
The Turner family has been operating Turners Fresh Market since1963. The lineage of farmers goes back to the 1840s in the Turner family. Ross and Deb Turner began by growing a wide variety of vegetables and marketed them directly (sometimes campsite to campsite) in the Waupaca Chain-of-Lakes region.The Turners grow predominantly sweet corn but they also have a very diversified offering including squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers,greenhouse plants and transplants and much more. They have alarge on-farm sales area where you can get all their products. “The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of mass produced crops perse, but growing crops that are of value to your community you live in.”- Tara Turner
Easy Roasted Red Potatoes
• 2 lbs red potatoes, washed and quartered
• 2-3 Tablespoons olive or cooking oil
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¾ teaspoon pepper
• ½ teaspoon paprika (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil,or spray the sheet with nonstick spray
3. Place potatoes on the sheet pan and drizzle withoil. Sprinkle with seasonings and stir to coat.
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until fork tender Stir 2-3 times while baking.