Whats Inside My box? Week of October 16th, 2023
Watermelon rain check from last week
Apples, Honeycrisp from Sacia Orchards
Dried Cranberries from Honestly Cranberry
Collards from Driftless Organics
Black Beans from Doudlah
Cornmeal from Doudlah
Whole Wheat Flour from Doudlah
Cubed Sweet potato from Olden
Loaves of Cheddar from ECOS
Eggs from Happy Harvest
Maple Syrup from Tapped
Whole wheat flour and whole cornmeal meet the whole grain-rich requirement for CACFP. Most recipes will yield similar results when up to half of the flour is replaced with whole-grain flour.
At Doudlah Farms Organics we believe in wholesome, nutritious foods, farmed right. As conservationists and advocates for organic, regenerative and bio dynamic farming practices, we work hard to grow nutrient-rich food that is good for you, our planet and the future of human health.
Keeping your box items fresh:
• Keep refrigerated and stored in a sealed container away from excess moisture.
• Always wash items with salt/vinegar/warm water before consuming.
• Compost after 7 days, or if mold is beginning to grow. Avoid consuming products that have odd smells, slime, textures, etc. or if they feel soft and dehydrated
Whole Grain Pancakes adapted from fifteenspatulas.com
Makes 6 hearty servings
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 Tablespoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups buttermilk (or milk of your choice with
2 Tablespoons vinegar added to create fluffypancakes)
• ¼ cup melted butter or cooking oil of your choice
butter or cooking spray to grease the griddle
• Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
• In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter or oil, and eggs.
• Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Leave batter lumpy. It will get tough if overstirred.
• Preheat griddle to 375 degrees and butter or spray with nonstick spray Drop small scoops (about 3 Tablespoons) onto hot griddle.
• Wait for bubbles to appear on the surface of the batter before flipping.
• Flip pancakes and cook for two minutes or until golden on the other side.
• Serve with syrup and/or sliced apples.